Thursday, June 6, 2024

Praying for SBC24 in Indy

In recent years, and now after thirty one years as pastor here in Camden, my involvement  has gotten lax in denominational participation.  We as a Church certainly are blessed to be strong supporters and givers to the mission efforts of Southern Baptist through the Cooperative Program, North American Mission Board, International Board, Send Relief and Disaster Relief.  But this year is an exception. As the week of the Southern Baptist Convention's Annual Meeting approaches next week in Indianapolis, it is one that I need to attend for several reasons.

One is the needed fellowship. It is a blessing to catch up with fellow believers and preachers who have been such an inspiration and blessing to me over the years.  Another is the blessing of  being fed by hearing other men preach.  Years ago , when we would attend, as a young pastor, I would listen to older pastor's preach and pray that God one day would give me that kind of wisdom. 

Thirdly, I love to hear the mission reports and what God is doing all over the world. It is the heart of a missionary that I need God to keep cultivating in me. Recently we had IMB President Dr. Paul Chitwood, and what a blessing he was to get to meet.

Fourth, there is the pressing issue of any form of abuse, sexual or other, that would take place in a local church, and learning how to better address it, prevent it, and support those who have wrongfully suffered because of it.

Lastly it is a Convention where we will either decide that we continue to believe and follow the Word of God in regards to who is qualified biblically to Pastor a Church, or take an approach that it is not an issue and try to move forward without addressing it. After looking at numbers and the confusion we had defining a Pastor, it is an issue.

Southern Baptist are a people of the Bible and I believe we will stand firm in taking God at His Word.  As a Southern Baptist, we will come together for God's glory to continue on this great commission journey, together.

I ask for your Prayers as we meet and that the Lord will be glorified and praised. I have friends on both sides of this issue regarding the Law Amendment. I love and respect them all.  The six running for President are split right down the middle on it. 

As your pastor, based on what I have read and studied, my intention is to vote for the Amendment.  There must be a clear signal sent to a watching world that we will continue to follow God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cookies and a cup of Kool-Aid

  This is the third or fourth year we have moved our Vacation Bible School in to the month of June and we like it. Even though it is not too...