Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Slow Death

Renee and I just returned from a Smoky Mountain Vacation that included three days of Southern Gospel Music at the Smoky Mountain Praisefest. Some of my earliest and fond memories growing up on Canary Ct. in Dayton involved Southern Gospel music. A quartet that featured four parts, a piano, and a bass guitar to me was all you needed.  We really did enjoy the Praisefest, yet I recognized a hard truth.  Most of the nearly two thousand in attendance for each session were in their golden years, Senior Saints, Classics, Fifty Uppers, whatever term we can come up with, an older audience.

I mean here I am now fifty three and love this style of music it, yet there were very few  younger than me.  I overheard a group member sharing with a man and he indicated that when this generation of fans pass on there will not be anyone to sing too.  For some reason folks who have not grown up with southern gospel music don't seem to appreciate or follow it. things have changed.  Let me go on record.  I love it and will sing and listen to it until the Lord comes or calls me home!

This picture of this music genre is a little bit like a church.  We have to take a hard look at times and look at our congregations.  Do we have young people, young families, middle agers coming, serving, leading, giving, or are we really depending on those who are in front of us when it comes to years to carry the load?  When we are at that point here is the sad news, once those in front of us are gone, what will the Church landscape look like when it is up to us.

Unlike music styles, the gospel of Christ does not change.  We are living in a day where it seems that Bible preaching has taken a back seat to non offensive feel good messages to keep a crowd. It can sometimes feel like convenience is now more important than commitment.  Schedules more sacred than worship. More time can be spent on Facebook than in the Word of God.

God help us. Now is the time, today is the day for us to step up for Christ and serve Him with everything. Christ is about life, he paid for it with His death.  Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Christmas to Remember!

I must say that I am a lousy blogger having not posted since September, but the Christ of Christmas certainly is worthy.  It has been a rema...